Monday, April 15, 2013

Lubuntu 10.04 - Part 1


Note: I'm using Lubuntu 10.04 on my Test Machine - Laptop - ASUS F3F, Intel Due Core, 1.86GHz and 488MB RAM


Hello,
Are you shocked? indeed, the post is labeled "Lubuntu 10.04 - Part 1" and you did read it correctly :D
I have sent this email:

From: Ali Linx (amjjawad) <amjjawad@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Subject: Re: [Lubuntu-wiki-docs] End Of Life..
To: "lubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com" <lubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>, "lubuntu-qa@lists.launchpad.net" <lubuntu-qa@lists.launchpad.net>, Lubuntu Comms <lubuntu-comms@lists.launchpad.net>, "lubuntu-wiki-docs@lists.launchpad.net" <lubuntu-wiki-docs@lists.launchpad.net>, "ubuntu-quality@lists.ubuntu.com" <ubuntu-quality@lists.ubuntu.com>

Hi,

I've been discussing this issue and Lubuntu 12.04 being 100% LTS or not [1] and all the confusion about "will Lubuntu still support my very old machine or not?" for the last two weeks or maybe more.

Long story short, I will jump in and find out myself some if not all the answers that our users are seeking and looking for.

http://phillw.net/isos/lubuntu/lucid/
I'm downloading Lubuntu 10.04 right now from the above link.

I will install it once done on my test machine.
I need to see myself what is going on and the EOL for the 10.04 Desktop version is coming soon, less than a month. That will be really interesting :)
As you know/may know, each release has different Kernel [2]. Some machines can't use 12.04 or 12.10 because the support had been dropped/stopped. So, if you guys have Qs about that, you do now know who is doing the test and experiments.

Thank you!

[1] - http://i46.tinypic.com/i24igz.jpg

[2] - http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2013/04/lubuntu-and-very-old-machines.html



So what is really going on? the above email should explain that :)

This post is about my first experiment with 10.04 after 3 years from releasing 10.04 :D I really miss 10.04 and for the sake of our Users with really very old hardware that 12.04 is no longer support, I'm writing this :)




This is the Desktop of Lubuntu 10.04 with little bit of change as I find it so hard to see/use when the icons on the LXPanel are small so I always do this after each installation: 

1- Right Click on LXPanel

2- Panel Settings

3- See this:




4- Go to Appearance Tab

5- Choose "System Theme"

6- Done.

I always do that as the first step after installation no matter what release of Lubuntu I'm using :)


Oh, and I added LXTerminal to the LXPanel and Synaptic as well - here is how:
1- Right Click on LXPanel

2- Panel Settings

3- Panel Applets



4- Double Click on "Application Launch Bar"

5- You will see this:



6- From the right side, choose the applications you want to add to your Panel either by selecting and click on "Add" or just double click on it.

7- Close, Close and you are Done.

This is actually the second step I do after I install Lubuntu no matter what release I'm using, specially when I test :)

Sometimes, for my main systems (daily use), I create another Panel and keep my applications there:




Don't freak out, this is Lubuntu 13.04 Beta 2 which is still under development and not yet released as a stable version.

I'm just trying to support my words with visual examples :)


YES, obviously, the Artwork has been improved BIG TIME - Many thanks to our Artwork Team for their great job!


Now, the third step I do (sometimes, this is my very first step) is:

Open LXTerminal and run:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-ger dist-upgrade

You will be surprised how fast apt-get update will finish because 10.04 has less resources than 12.04 for example.

The above 3 steps had been done already. That was 5 days now :D

Today, 15-04-2013, I decided to write this post :)

Now, if this is the fourth step, then we are going to install some useful applications for our daily use.

Honestly, I was surprised when I saw Chromium on the latest version after "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" the other day - Version 25.0.1364.160 Ubuntu 10.04 (25.0.1364.160-0ubuntu0.10.04.1)

This is really great. 

For me, one browser was never enough for me so I always have another one and by the way, I suggest you do the same no matter what is your favorite browser is, just have two of these ready in case you need one day :) you never know what could go wrong.

Let's install Firefox

You may again be surprised that after "sudo apt-get update", you can install the latest version of Firefox on your Lubuntu 10.04 so no worries here regarding Internet Security, etc. You will be able to use the same version that someone with 13.04 is using ;)

- You can do that from LXTermainl:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install firefox

- You can also do that from Synaptic:
On the search tool, type "firefox" then hit Enter



For me, I find the CLI is much easier to update and install packages but that is me. Synaptic is a very helpful tool. It is just the graphical front end for CLI :D

Usually, after each install, we used to install this package: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/

We used to run:
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras
With Lubuntu 10.04, you can not do that because that package wasn't available back on the days of 10.04 - click here and go to "=== New extras packages ==="

I have done a quick search and found this.

I'm not 100% sure if that is correct because I can't remember what I have done 3 years ago :D
I used to do this.
Anyway, I must check and update my post.

So far, this is the end of Part 1 :)

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment